I had my braids in for 5weeks and it was time to take it out.I couldn’t do an update on how i took care of my hair during the time. Apart from how i did take care of my hair in the extension,am going to write on my hair care before and after the installation and some of the natural products i used as well.
Before installing the extension;
- I washed my hair with shampoo and conditioner,
- Detangled my hair properly and
- I deep conditioned
After deep conditioning,i applied Extra Virgin Olive oil and Shea butter to my hair,braided it out and left to air dry.
Installing the Extension;
Kinky extensions are usually very dry.To avoid tangling up my hair and having breakages,i moisturized it properly with Shea butter before installing. I didn’t do much with the installation apart from moisturizing the extension properly and making sure my stylist didn’t hold my hair roots too tightly.
Taking Care of My Hair in kinky twist;
- My hair hates to be thirsty,i spritz my hair everyday but i don’t get it soggy.
- I sleep in a satin/Silk scarf to keep my hair tidy as long as possible.
- I shampooed and conditioned 3times in 5weeks that i had the braids in.This was really about cleansing my scalp and letting it breathe than washing the actual hair.
Time To Take Down;
- I spritz my hair to get my roots and length in the twist moisturized and,
- I took out the extensions
My hair care after taking out the extensions;
When i was done removing the extension,my hair was clumped together and i had a little build up.At this point i really needed to be careful and gentle with my hair
- I applied some olive oil to my palms and detangled the hair using my fingers.Put them in sections before combing.
- I trimmed my ends.
- I shampooed and conditioned in sections,and
- I deep conditioned.
Some Natural Products i use;
My Daily Spritz;
In my 100ml spray water bottle,i have;
- 10ml /2teaspoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 10ml /2tsp of Glycerin
- 10ml /2tsp of Castor Oil
- 70ml of Water
I use this to keep my hair moisturized everyday even when my hair is not in braids.My hair loves it.
For Deep Conditioning;
- Hair Mayonnaise
- Pure Honey
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Shea Butter
I blend all the ingredients thoroughly and apply to my hair in sections,put on a shower cap,i wear a hair therapy wrap for about 45mins-1hr.I wash thoroughly,put my hair in single twists to air dry.
You can also wrap a towel around your head.The essence is to put heat to the hair so it can absorb all the nutrients you are feeding into it.I love to deep condition my hair since my hair loves moisture.It feels so soft and silky after each deep conditioning.
Now that the braid is out,the next 4weeks is going to be ‘My hair and I’. I have my hair in cornrows and would be transitioning with a wig during this time.I hope to do an update on what i did.
I have this urge to install my next kinky extension myself,am still skeptical about it because i don’t know how its going to turn out.
Have you ever installed your extension yourself,what was the experience like?